As a yogi, I know from experience that the answer to every discomfort, injury or pain is to stretch. But that’s only half the job! The other half is to strengthen.
THE IMPORTANCE OF STRENGTHENING
I recommend committing to strength training twice a week. It’s a great way to:
- Increase muscle mass,
- Strengthen your bones which reduces the risk of fractures, and
- Create flexibility in your joins which reduces the symptoms of arthritis.
Strength training also helps you to:
- Find balance,
- Reduce falls and injuries, and
- Control your weight as, when you gain muscles, your body begins to burn calories easier.
TOP FIVE STRENGTHING EXERCISES
Here are a few easy ways to get you started.
- Strengthen your glues by flexing your knee and kicking back.
- Engage your glutes by grounding your feet.
- Activate your core by pressing firmly into your thighs.
- Strengthen your core by engaging your pelvic floor, and drawing your belly in.
- Try the Cat and Cow in your chair.
The great thing about strengthening is that you can either do it using elastic bands or your own weight, using one part of your body to push while the other part resists. Begin these slowly, repeating each movement eight to twelve times, and gradually increasing the resistant or weight as the exercise becomes easier for you.
Want some one-to-one support?
Book an appointment with Esme by e-mailing email@example.com or WhatsApping 078 0085 0307.